When we consider therapy it is usually motivated by an area of concern or anxiety in our lives. When we approach therapy for the first time there may be an additional anxiety: what is this process about, what can I expect from the therapist, and what is expected of me? What can be expected from the therapist?
- non-judgemental acceptance,
- exploring what is happening in the here-and-now of the therapy relationship,
- an offer of tools at times.
What can the client bring?
- Curiosity and willingness to explore and make sense of things, including current life circumstances, relationships and family background,
- not holding things back,
- examining the nuances of feelings, fantasies, dreams,
- talking about how the therapy relationship is being experienced.